How do I troubleshoot clockings and errors on my approvals screens?
Scenario: Your clockings do not add up correctly in your reports, a number of the entries on your Approvals screen are marked as red or an employee cannot see their working hours for some days on their Home screen.
In order for WorkForce TimeKeeper to correctly display working hours, the software must receive an even number of clockings that follow an in and out sequence on everyday that the employee creates clockings.By keeping this concept in mind, you will easily be able to understand what is happening if you have clocking errors and would also be able to make corrections if needed by adding manual clockings, night-shift clocking adjustments or disabling unnecessary clockings depending on the cause of your error.The most common cause for there to be errors are missing or unnecessary additional clockings. To properly understand what happened on a particular day, you need to be able to see and understand the individual clockings for a particular day.
Frequently asked questions:
Q: Can I switch a clocking from an in to an out?
A: No. If a clocking is incorrect it can be disabled as explained in the next section of this article. If a clocking is added by an employee, the chances are that it is correct, unless it is a duplicate clocking (which can happen for example, in the event that employee clocked in a second time during a shift as they would not be sure whether they had already clocked in or not). If you see an instance where an employee did not clock in or out on a day when they should have, the best solution is to find out when they started or finished work on that day, and add it in as a manual clocking (an explanation of how this can be done is listed below in the section below) to make an even number of clockings.
Q: My employees clocked in on a number of days, but their working hours are not appearing on their Home Screen AND/OR I am seeing a number of entries marked on my approvals pages which are marked as ‘Missing clockings’. What is causing this issue?
A: In order for WorkForce TimeKeeper to correctly display working hours, the software must receive an even number of clockings on everyday that an employee creates clockings. Please see the next section of this article to learn how to understand clocking errors.
Clockings can be analyzed in detail and corrected on the following 3 pages:
- Clocking list (https://tatt.databyte.com.mt/ClockingList) On this page you can filter the clockings for a single day, and for a single employee. The clocking list is the 2nd section of the screen. To use this page to review clockings, it is recommended that you single out a specific day so that you can clearly see if there are missing or unnecessary clockings. Should you need to disable clockings or activate clockings, you will see a ‘disable’ or an ‘activate’ link to the right hand side of each entry. If you need to add missing clockings, the first section of the page caters specifically for adding in manual clockings.
- Employee Approvals (https://tatt.databyte.com.mt/AttendanceWorkout) where you can click the date for any day when there are clockings towards the left hand side of each listing. The clocking list is the 2nd section of the light box. Should you need to disable clockings or activate clockings, you will see a ‘disable’ or an ‘activate’ link to the right hand side of each entry. If you need to add missing clockings, the first section of the page caters specifically for adding in manual clockings.
- Approvals by Date (https://tatt.databyte.com.mt/AttendanceWorkoutDate) where you can click on the Badge ID for any employee on a particular day towards the left hand side of each listing. The clocking list is the 2nd section of the light box. Should you need to disable clockings or activate clockings, you will see a ‘disable’ or an ‘activate’ link to the right hand side of each entry. If you need to add missing clockings, the first section of the page caters specifically for adding in manual clockings.
When should the Night-shift Icon be used?
As night shifts can start late on one day and end on another an error could appear in your approvals pages for particular days (based on your software settings and business rules) due to an employee only producing a single clocking on a day as opposed to an even number of clockings.
We have developed a number of easy ways for clockings to be corrected in the case of night-shifts:
- In the event that an employee follows a constant weekly schedule and works night-shifts, these can be included in the employees’ working schedules which are available within the Manage Employees section (https://fusion.databyte.com.mt/ManageEmployees.aspx). These can be set per employee for any days of the week where they repeatedly work night-shifts.
- In the event that employees follow a schedule that is setup independently of the DataByte WorkForce, additional night-shift clockings can be added and will allow for a calculation of hours worked per day by an employee. This feature allows for 2 clockings to be automatically created for a night-shift to be calculated correctly. The system will automatically clock-out an employee at 23:59 (or 11:59PM) on the day that they started their night-shift as well as another clock-in the employee at 0:00 (or 12:00AM) the next day to create the even number of clockings that the software needs accordingly. These clockings can be added in from the Employee Approvals (https://tatt.databyte.com.mt/AttendanceWorkout) or the Approvals by Date (https://tatt.databyte.com.mt/AttendanceWorkoutDate) pages based on your preference. An icon of a quarter moon will appear on the right hand side of each day or entry with missing clocks and should be applied on the day where the employee started working their night-shift.
Note: To correctly use this feature, start adding night shift punches from the very first day of a time period where these errors appear and work through the time period day after day. Trying to add night-shift clockings on random days could result in further incorrect clockings that would require you to use the Clocking list (https://tatt.databyte.com.mt/ClockingList) to fix these issues.
Looking to request support from DataByte? Visit this URL and submit a support ticket: https://databyte.com.mt/support/
Looking for a user guide for DataByte Workforce Timekeeper? Visit this URL to download product documentation: https://databyte.com.mt/documentation/
Looking for more information about DataByte Workforce Timekeeper? Visit: https://databyte.com.mt/products/time-attendance-software/